DIME (Dynamics of Institutions and Markets in Europe) is a Network of Excellence of social science research units in Europe, sponsored by the 6th Framework Programme working on the economic and social consequences of increasing globalization and the rise of the knowledge economy. The network brings together a wide variety of established and new scholars with backgrounds in economics, geography, sociology, history, political science and law with the objective to create a common “cognitive infrastructure” binding European communities working with the dynamics of knowledge, institutions and markets.
The assential target is to contribute in addressing contemporary challenges facing the European Union,
its member states, its companies and its citizens in managing the transition to a knowledge based
economy and society in the context of its enlargement and of the globalization of the
economy. The DIME field of operation covers macro processes such as the enlargement of the
European Union, meso issues such as emerging regional inequalities, and micro factors
behind the competitiveness of European firms in the global knowledge economy.
The network research work is structured around 4 working packages – focus areas :
– Institutional Foundations of Knowledge Generation and Exchange
– Communities of Practice: Local, Virtual and Dispersed
– Universities Industry linkages: Spinoffs and Progenitors of Knowledge Exchange Networks
– The Influence of Rules, Norms and Standards on Knowledge Exchange
In addition to research projects on the above areas focusing on the development of new theoretical and conceptual tools, DIME intends to develop to disseminate the knowledge created through:
– developing training programmes for current and future researchers, policymakers, consultants and industry managers
– designing and implementing an information and knowledge dissemination structure based on virtual (project web site) and real space (conferences, common projects, researchers exchange) activities and developing common information databases
– dissemination to and interaction with various stakeholders focusing mainly on industrialists and regional authorities