The latest issue of Digital Communities magazine is available for download. Launched by Government Technology and the Center for Digital Government the magazine and portal are supported by a collaborative network of local government leaders and private sector technology partners meeting the 21st century technology challenges of cities, counties and regions.
Table of contents
- The Digital Community of the Future, by Blake Harris
Harnessing digital power is key to effectively tackling 21st-century challenges.
- Social Capital: Technology’s Impact on Society, by Robert Bell.
Social scientists shed new light on the relationship between broadband and community development.
- New York City’s Connected City Initiative, by Tod Newcombe, Editor
New York City CIO Paul Cosgrave outlines new technology initiatives.
- San Jose, Calif.’s Wikiplanning Project on Course, by Chad Vander Veen, Associate Editor
Three-month effort aims to involve citizens in city planning.
- Houston High School Trains Students as 911 Phone Operators, by Hilton Collins
A unique high school curriculum offers Houston students a career path in law enforcement and criminal justice.
- Cities Use RFID and Bar Codes in Recycling Incentive Program, by Elaine Rundle
Michigan and Florida cities offer residents coupons and discounts in exchange for recycling
- Thoughtful Criticism of Government Is a Vital Part of the Democratic Process (Opinion), by Todd Sander, Director Digital Communities
Rumors and disinformation shouldn’t replace data, facts and well reasoned thoughts in political engagement.