For San JosÃ©, USA, becoming a “smart city’ means that game-changing technologies and data-driven decision-making will drive continuous improvement in how the city serves its community, and promotes concrete benefits in safety, sustainability, economic opportunity, and quality of life for our constituents.
The key pillars of the vision are the following
Safe Smart City
Leverage technology to make San JosÃ© the safest big city in America.
- Broaden use of data analytics to improve safety.
- Reduce traffic accidents and fatalities with connected infrastructure, data analytics, and machine learning
- Increase transparency by providing datasets, data visualizations and utilizing predictive modeling of crime and policing.
Inclusive Smart City
Ensure all residents, businesses, and organizations can participate in and benefit from the prosperity and culture of innovation in Silicon Valley.
- Inclusive Broaden access to basic digital infrastructure to all residents.
- Build digital skills of our residents through investing in Opportunity Youth and in professional training programs.
- Better utilize digital tools to help to address homelessness and access to affordable housing in San JosÃ©.
- Support economic development in historically struggling business districts by using data tools to demonstrate the business case for investing in San JosÃ©.
User Friendly Smart City
Create digital platforms to improve transparency, empower residents to actively engage in the governance of their city, and make the City more responsive to the the complex and growing demands of our community.
- Build a digital “neighborhood dashboard’ that allows residents to seamlessly access information, file report, and collectively solve issues in their own neighborhood.
- Expand civic engagement through initiatives like participatory budgeting and zero-based budgeting, and mobile and online applications.
- Utilize open data and visualization to inform public dialog, policy-making, and management decisions.
- Modernize antiquated City technology systems to reduce costs, improve efficiency, and empower employees to improve service.
- Digitize, automate, and integrate city services to be “user-friendly,’.
Sustainable Smart City
Utilize technology to address energy, water, and climate challenges to enable sustainable growth.
- Enable deployment of energy and water management technology in buildings, and promote real-time data analytics to help residents and businesses conserve energy and water.
- Rapidly deploy sensor technology on city streets and infrastructure and explore on-demand mobility apps to reduce GHG emissions.
- Create a “race to the top’ across all City agencies and local businesses to improve energy and water efficiency, using data to benchmark progress, and analytics to identify best practices.
Demonstration Smart City
Reimagine the City as a laboratory and platform for the most impactful, transformative technologies that will shape how we live and work in the future.
- Fully develop the city’ s transportation innovation zone to test new products and services.
- Build an “Internet of Things’ platform employing transit vehicles and infrastructure by using smart sensor technologies to improve safety, mobility, and optimize our transit system.
- Create pathways for start-ups and innovators to easily access opportunities to pilot and test new products and services with the City.
You can read the full San JosÃ© “Smart City Vision’ and how the city plans to realize the vision on the following link