National Geographic Channel featured San Diego as the only U.S. city in its acclaimed documentary series “World’s Smart Cities”. San Diego was chosen for its strong technology sector, local innovators, green practices, smart public planning and an unparalleled quality of life.
Other selection factors included San Diego’s size of population, demographics/cultural diversity, livability, economy and business climate, educational institutions, leadership and strong sense of community.
National Geographic Channel’s “World’s Smart Cities: San Diego” documentary is an unprecedented exploration of the 8th largest U.S. city where technology, talent and innovation create a new urban environment – one that will emerge as a leading city in the 21st century.
“Both business and leisure travelers have known about San Diego’s appealing weather and friendly beach lifestyle for years,” said Joe Terzi, President and CEO of the San Diego Tourism Authority. “However, ‘World’s Smart Cities’ will show viewers worldwide that San Diego has more than a sunny outlook. The city’s talent, innovation and creativity highlighted in this documentary prove that San Diego’s business environment and local culture are among the world’s best.”
The following are the 9 reasons that are mentioned in the blog operated by San Diego Regional Economic Development Corporation’s that justify the choice of Nat Geo to be called a Smart City.
- In San Diego they don’ t just drink beer; we make it too.
- The city’ s’ grid is smart.
- The port makes San Diego a “plug-in.’
- They cultivate the innovators of the future.
- San Diego is th home to one of the smartest universities in the world’¦
- Innovation is in the DNA of San Diego citizens.
- In San Diego they make the things that go where no man can go.
- Lifesaving innovations are applied to multiple fields.
- San Diego people care.