This report is the first ICT industry publication designed for city decision makers including CTOs, CIOs and technology advisors that provides an overview of the network-enabled technologies to have the greatest impact on the evolving Smart City. Developed by the Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions (ATIS), it aims to help city planners know what’s on the horizon for tomorrow so that they can start developing their technology vision today.
The 5G network, augmented reality, machine learning and other innovations are delivering a wealth of options to rapidly advance the power of Smart Cities technology. The Smart Cities Technology Roadmap helps city planners know what’ s on the horizon for tomorrow so that they can start developing their technology vision today. The report is developed by the Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions (ATIS), an organization that brings together the top global information and communication technology (ICT) companies.
Providing an overview of the network-enabled technologies that will have the greatest impact on the evolving Smart City, this report aims to foster better budgeting, purchasing and staging decisions. The end result will be to position city decision makers to more effectively manage their upcoming technology investments as they create the connected cities of the future. As ATIS president and CEO Susan Miller says:
Rapidly advancing capabilities to collect and analyze constant real-time data are starting to help better manage many citizen-centric functions, improving traffic flow monitoring, public safety, and more. […] This Roadmap is a much-needed focal point for dialogue between city planners and the ICT industry. It can enable planners to turn their Smart Cities projects into a comprehensive Smart Cities vision.
The report has been organized to provide a layered review structure, depending on the appropriate level of technical exploration deemed necessary by the reader:
– Section 2 provides an overview of Smart Cities challenges and benefits, based on outreach to city leaders and the industry.
– Section 3 provides a high level technology framework and
summary of key technology enablers for the broader audience.
– Section 4 includes a deeper analysis of the technology enablers that can enhance Smart Cities planning, including the current state of development and standards, a review of technology
choices and an assessment of critical factors that may impact future deployment.
– Section 5 provides a focused assessment of each Application sector, and how it will be impacted by the various technology developments and enablers.
– Section 6 provides an example industry reference regarding level of uncertainty (and risk), through public and private partnerships.
– Finally, Section 7 delivers an overall set of conclusions, and identifies the next steps for this ATIS collaborative initiative.
As a leading technology and solutions development organization, the Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions (ATIS) brings together the top global ICT companies to advance the industry’ s most critical business priorities. ATIS’ 150 member companies are currently working to address 5G, the all-IP transition, network functions virtualization, big data analytics, cloud services, the ICT implications of Smart Cities, emergency services, M2M, cyber security, network evolution, quality of service, billing support, operations, and much more. These priorities follow a fast-track development lifecycle ‘“ from design and innovation through standards, specifications, requirements, business use cases, software toolkits, open source solutions, and interoperability testing.
- Download the report here