At the fourth International Open Data Conference in Madrid, Spain in October 2016, New York City’ s Chief Analytics Officer debuted the Open Data team’ s six “Open Data Values.’ Each of these values is presented here, along with a specific step the administration has taken to ensure that every new open data initiative reflects the Open Data for All vision: that every New Yorker can benefit from Open Data, and that Open Data can benefit from every New Yorker.
- Start with users
- Encourage purposeful and easy engagement
- Treat the publication of the dataset as the first step of opening data
- Empower agencies
- Integrate Open Data into citywide processes
- Learn, test, standardize ‘” and learn again
According to the numbers, during this effort:
- 170 new datasets were published
- there were 140K monthly users
- there was 367% increase in inquiries to Open Data Team since the Help Desk launch
- 38 new automations were included
- it takes only 5 minutes between updates
You can find the full report here.